When it comes to decorating your home, you don’t have to break the bank to do so. Simply focusing on small changes like introducing seasonal spring and summer décor and adding eye-catching details here and there throughout your space will help personalize your home and make it feel like it’s a true reflection of who you are.
The following are five things you can do for under $200 to make your space feel like yours, and are sure to freshen up your space and help unleash your design flair while staying on budget.
Use Good Old-Fashioned Paint
- Use paint and a stencil to create your own DIY wallpaper. Craft your own custom pattern and take it as far as you want to go.
- Tester pots are inexpensive and can be used to add a few different colours to your walls.
- Furniture can look brand new with a clean coat of paint.
- Try painting one accent wall and adding contrasting accessories and furnishings.
- Paint your front door for an instant outdoor makeover.
Re-Use and Up-Cycle What You Already Own
- Display collectables together. A shelf housing your best glasses all colour co-ordinated, or your favourite books propped up just so, can make a great focal point in a room.
- Switch out handles on wardrobes and drawers to refresh their look.
- Repurpose mirrors as trays by adding felt to their undersides.
- Don’t underestimate the power of a simple furniture rearrangement and work within your space to play around with seating areas and tables for a functional refresh.
Get Crafty with Unique Pieces
- Add some fairy lights to a large glass jar for a one-of-a-kind table lamp.
- Create your own artwork, silly or serious, and display it around your home.
- Crochet or knit your own cushions and throws for the ultimate cozy accessory.
- Lay out photos, postcards, and fabrics on a table top and cover with glass or for a special and functional memory piece.
Simple DIY Designs
- Add castors for the ultimate change-up. Create moveable storage pieces and simply rearrange whenever you want.
- Install a chair rail to create some architectural interest.
- Hang a well-placed mirror to make a small room seem larger. For a beautiful look on the cheaper side, have mirrored glass cut to fit a vintage frame.
- Install new cabinet hardware to instantly update your kitchen/bathroom.
Bring Spring to Your Home
- Add flowers, fresh or faux, for an instant spring-time feel.
- Brighten up rooms with white or cream furnishing covers and curtains and throws.
- Use spring colours such as pastels, and shades of yellow and green, to add warmth.
- Get rid of clutter and keep things simple with just a few key pieces on display.
- Add a bit of ‘whimsy’ with some interesting designs and well-placed accessories that speak to your personality.
As an additional tip, you can also check out estate sales, charity shops and second hand boutiques to save money and find some eclectic pieces for your home.
No matter your style, there are creative home decorating ideas on a budget out there for everyone. Take it wherever you want to go and have fun with it!
Looking for a new home to decorate and make your own? Contact Multi-Area Developments.